Friday, May 3, 2019

Guidelines regarding charity donations

As promised, this post is about the technical details regarding making hats, booties, and possibly blankets and gowns for preemies, my 20 Time project this spring.

Some questions that I need to explore:

  1. Where to donate?  Ella was born at Tacoma General/Mary Bridge Children's Hospital, as were several of my colleagues' children.  My sister's kids were all born early at St. Peter's Hospital in Lacey/Olympia.  I have already contacted TG, and they have given me the information for how to donate (and were thrilled that I was doing this).  I have not contacted St. Pete's yet.
  2. How to donate?  For TG, I can bring the completed garments to the main desk on the MLK Jr. Drive entrance (patient services desk).
  3. Requirements for donations?  Preemies have delicate skin, so only the softest fibers can be used, and the garments have to be washable.  So, wool is out.  Acrylics are best, although I've found a brand of cotton that's blended with acrylic, so it has give and isn't as hard or lumpy as all-cotton would be (Cotton Fair by Premiere Yarns--I've found it at JoAnn's), and SO soft.  Items must also come from a smoke-free home.  
  4. Sizes?  3-5lbs most popular, most needed, 1-3lbs, 6-8lbs, 9-11lbs, Newborn.  Chart below:size
  5. Resources?  Ravelry is my go-to source for patterns.  I'm only using free patterns, as this is for charity, and nobody should be benefiting from charity patterns other than the recipient of the garment made from said patterns.
I have found most of my information online (of course).  Some of those websites are linked below:

Preemies of the Carolinas provided the sizing chart above, as well as some of the guidelines I have listed above.  They also have patterns linked to their website.

The Preemie Project is another good resource.  They list the best yarns for making garments, as well as further guidelines regarding fibers, etc.  They have many patterns linked on their patterns page!

Bev's size charts gives you some useful information with regards to making hats, and gauging sizes. 

Newborns in Need is a good resource for patterns, etc.

Salty Pearl Crochet has many hat patterns, some of which are really cute.

I have made a few more this week, as well as made booties for them to match.  I'm in the middle of knitting a set right now, in fact.  The hat is done, and now I'm doing booties (because they are adorable, and because all footwear for babies tends to be HUGE for tiny feet... Ella's feet were barely the size of my thumb, and I have a picture of her on the 4th of July her first year with a pair of red fabric sandals that were ridiculously ginormous on her.  But then...she has Cinderella feet: small and somewhat narrow, just like my maternal grandmother, whose nose she has also inherited). 

Here is what I'm currently working on:

The pattern for the hat above is called Babbity Baby Hats (and Booties) for preemies.  Here is a link to the pattern:  Marianna's Lazy Daisy Days.  The yarn is Cherub DK by Cascade yarns.  I also brought the other skein, thinking I'd maybe finish early, but I've had barely any time to work on it today!  The other skein is pretty, and I'm looking forward to working it up.  It's Baby Bee's "Sweet Delight" in feminine pastels (lavender, pale green, white), found at Hobby lobby.  I have only found Cherub DK in two stores:  Craft Warehouse in Boise, ID, and The Black Sheep in west Olympia.  I love it--55% nylon, 45% acrylic.  Soft as buttah. 

Hmm... I believe it has been a while since I visited the Black Sheep... I believe I may make an excursion there this afternoon!  I have to go to JoAnn's, and it's in the same area.  Shopping!!! 

Well, folks, that's it for today.  I will find that picture of Ella and post it this weekend.  Till then, have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment