Friday, May 17, 2019

Busy Hands!

Hi there, and Happy Friday!!!  Woot!

.

It's been another busy, crazy kind of week, but I have actually been productive.  For a few evenings this week, my fingers were flying!  Proof:


Earlier this month, I stopped in at The Black Sheep in west Olympia and picked up some "Bamboo Pop!" and a few other skeins/balls of yarn.  Bamboo Pop is 50/50 Cotton and Bamboo (which is super soft), and works up into a very soft, flexible hat.  The two white hats, the bright pink, and the denim blue hat were made with it.  The multicolored hat on the left may also use that yarn--I can't remember, because the balls for Bamboo Pop and Cotton Fair look exactly the same (and feel very similar).  The blue hat used some yarn I picked up at the Black Sheep, as well.  I think it is a Cascade Yarn acrylic, but can't remember the label.  The light pink one in the upper right is made with a fine cotton chenille I found at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  

Patterns-- 
  • The three solid-color larger hats use the Robby beanie pattern from Mamma That Makes.  She has several patterns I've tried and liked.  This one took me a bit to figure out on row 5 (I think), but once I figured it out, it was easy.  I liked the interesting pattern, which reminds me of filet crochet.  And it's unisex, so... easy to do in many colors.
  • The two hats on the far right use the "Valerie" pattern from Marianna's Lazy Daisy Days. I really like the pattern, but I have only made one of the smallest ones.  It is perfect for a doll with a 5-6" head, but I have a hard time thinking of a baby with a head that tiny.  I will make micro hats soon, however.  I don't want to leave anybody out!  
  • The multicolored hat on the lower left corner was made using the Preemie Gaige Hat by Allison Booker.  I found the pattern on Ravelry.  I don't think it turned out well in this color, but it's a cute hat.  I don't think I'll make more of them, as I'm concerned about the open loops on it.  I've read that hospitals prefer hats that don't have a lot of open holes, so that babies don't get their fingers caught in them.  If you've ever watched and infant stretch and curl their hands and feet, it makes sense.
  • At center top of the photo is a speckled white knitted hat.  This one is the Jack and Jill hat, also from Marianna's Lazy Daisy days.  I like her patterns.  This is nice and stretchy, so the hat may look like it belongs on a Conehead, it is actually much roomier than it looks!  This pattern is also multi-sized.  Marianna makes all kinds of patterns for babies and preemies--you can find them all on Ravelry.com.  I like that she makes her patterns for two needles, as I struggle with DPNs.  

For more patterns, both Mamma That Makes and Marianna's Lazy Daisy Days have multiple patterns for babies, and thus far, have been pretty easy to do.  I like a pattern that's easy to memorize--it makes the work go faster/easier.

It's my daughter's 12th birthday today--how time flies!  It seems just a minute ago that she was my tiny preemie... she seems so big to me now, but compared to her peers, she's pretty small.  She's been sick lately, and that's putting a damper on birthday plans, but I think she's on the mend.

Have a restful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment