Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Memorial Day Weekend update

Good morning! 

On Friday, I listed multiple things I wanted to do this weekend, and I thought this morning that I would tell you how things went.

I don't have any pictures, but I cranked out another dozen hats this weekend!  It was nice to simply rest and let my fingers do the work.  Plus I had inspiration from the new patterns.  And I did some color work--I don't like weaving in ends, so I try to avoid making color changes when I knit or crochet.  But, I took the plunge this weekend, and found that alternating rows of color (for a striped effect) wasn't as annoying/frustrating than I expected it to be, and the hats I made are really cute!  I'll take pictures later and post them, along with pattern links.

Saturday I ended up sleeping in rather late--guess my body needed it!  Although I was sleepy through much of the day, so... not sure about that.  I had a hair appointment at 1:30--trim and roots--and then got a pedicure afterwards.  Because it was raining, there were very few people in the salon, so I didn't have a long wait.  I even indulged in a "mud mask" kind of thing on my legs and feet.  My feet are very soft and have no callouses now!  And my toes are pretty again.  After I got home, my husband had test-driven a car home (long test drive) because he really liked it and thought I would.  At first, I was a bit hesitant, as the car seemed to be larger than what I am used to (and I really don't like driving big vehicles), but it was actually really nice, and easy to navigate.  Roomy on the inside, comfortable, and it's a hybrid, so the gas mileage for my 25-minute commute (each way!) would be far better than the gas-guzzler I'm driving right now. 

Background:  We had three vehicles, with the intention that the third vehicle (a Nissan truck) would be for my niece's use.  My niece never got her license while she lived with us, so now that she's in Idaho with my dad, we don't need a third vehicle.  The first week in April, we took my Outback in to the dealership to fix an airbag recall thing, and they didn't finish by the end of the day, so they gave us a loaner Outback--2019 model.  Mine is a 2012, still a nice car and decent gas mileage, but... this loaner car was Amazing!  All the new features and upgrades were really eye-opening for us, so we started thinking about upgrading the Subaru.  My husband decided, however, that if we're going to get a new car, how about checking out other cars in the same type?  Thus, the Great Car Hunt began.  He kept updating me on all these statistics and models, which was overwhelming my already overloaded brain.  So I told him to narrow it down to three or so vehicles, and then we can talk.  I test-drove several vehicles (thus far):  A Mazda 5 with Turbo, a Mazda 6 (I think it was a hybrid), a Toyota Rav-4 hybrid, and this weekend, a Toyota Highlander hybrid.  The last one is the one I drove Saturday.  We decided we liked it, and started the process of buying it (we're waiting on the house refinancing to be completed before we buy).  Now, of course, my husband is second-guessing himself... the car is last year's model, and used, which has its own benefits, but he always does this. 

Anyway... Sunday, after a tasty waffles and sausage breakfast, I worked in my sewing room, moving my laces to a different bookcase, and putting my books in the other bookcase (This bookcase will be full soon...I have a TON of books and pattern binders).  I also condensed some things, went through boxes and rearranged how I store some things, etc.  Then my husband asked if I was ready for him to bring things up.  This is the biggest part of the job... I inherited my mom's sewing room, which was vast and jam-packed with all kinds of stuff.  I spent much of last year going through it all, making donations to local charities (lots of quilting fabrics) and libraries.  But now that it is reduced in size, it's in my garage, taking up a lot of space.  So... now that I've made room and plans, it was time to start moving stuff to my sewing room. 

First, a small chest of drawers.  It's very small, but it has been in my mother's various sewing rooms for my entire life.  It came from my grandmother's house, and I used to think it was ugly.  It could do with some surface cleaning (Mr. Clean sponges to the rescue!), but the yellow and white doesn't bother me now.  It has tradition with it...and I couldn't say goodbye to it.  The top drawer contains sewing accessories, needles, machine needles, etc.  I forget what's in the lower two drawers.  One used to be packed with spools of thread, but those have been transferred to several plastic bins.  In the picture, the bins on top of the little chest are all full of thread (except the long, flat box). 


 
Next came two racks of small storage containers.  My dad custom-made these racks for my mother to store all of her buttons, doo-dads (as she called them), ribbon roses, etc.  I have wanted a rack, too, but he never had the time to do it.  So when we were clearing out mom's sewing room, he simply unscrewed them from the walls, put temporary cardboard backs on them, and put them in the truck to take to me.  So Rob brought them upstairs (emptying the stacks of boxes in them first) Sunday, and screwed them to the wall with a couple of wall anchors.  I put the boxes back on the shelves in the rack until I can go through them... mom's system of organization was somewhat confusing.  I think this was due in part to the development of Parkinson's Dementia early on, as well as the brain tumor that was pressing on her nerves.  Sometimes I open a box of hers and see no rhyme or reason why things were put in it, and I just heave a big sigh.  I think sometimes she put things in boxes to just get them out of the way.  I know I do that sometimes, and I try not to, because I don't want my family to have to go through the same thing!

I moved the dresser, which will be used to store my model dolls, props, etc., and then Rob began to bring up boxes from the garage.  Most of the boxes he brought up, however, are things to sell or store elsewhere.  None of them are fabric bins.  The black plastic rack you see is temporarily holding small things while we move the big stuff. 

The next two pictures show the transfer of books and lace from two bookcases.  There will be more lace, and more books.  Trust me.  I know what's in the garage, and at least two large bins are full of carded lace. 

 

I moved the lace to the far left bookcase to make it more accessible.  I know there is stuff piled up at the base of the bookcase where the books are...I was in the process of organizing, and had a little pile-up there. 

The next few pictures are of organized chaos. I'll be working on those in my free time (free time??  When do I get that??).  I have magazines to go through (and with every one I added to the pile, I told myself I am stupid, stupid...being a hoarder!  How much money did I spend on these things??), boxes of individual stuff to organize, more plastic storage to purchase (specific types of boxes), etc.  It looks like a horrible mess, but it's really just kind of clutter while I reorganize the room.  It will get better, I promise!  I can't work in this kind of chaos!!



Cosmetically, I have new fabric for curtains, a slipcover for my sewing chair and the wooden chair (and chair pad for it), as well as paint for the drawers of the large dresser.  I bought three cans of spray paint in three different colors that coordinate with the curtains, as well as new drawer pulls, with which to redo those dresser drawers. 

This is just the start, of course.  My mother accumulated collections of, well... everything!  I'm certainly not going to be able to use it all, and have plans.  Some things I will be selling, such as dolls and doll accessories that are collectible.  I am planning to "destash" by making doll clothing kits (fabric, trims, buttons, etc.) and selling them online.  Some of the items in these large bins were put there just to make it easier to transport/move, so I'll be going through those, too. 

Lots of work!

Finally, Monday... We had a nice breakfast (Rob made chocolate croissants from a package he bought at Trader Joe's.  I've told him he can make them any time!!), and I spent some time cleaning up downstairs.  Ella joined me for a bit, but when I took a break, she decided she was done, and didn't go back to doing what I asked her to do.  Sigh.  After cooling off a bit, I picked up my hook and some yarn and made hats!  :)
Until later, have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment