Friday, December 14, 2018

The Genesis of a Plan

Inspired by the "genius hour" projects my daughter was doing in 4th and 5th grade, I decided to introduce the same concept to my Senior English students.  So, this quarter, we are all working on independent learning projects that also include a language arts connection.  

Me?  I'm a Jane Austen addict.  I'm also a seamstress, and have been fascinated by fashion through the ages since I was a teenager.  I've designed and sewn many doll outfits based on various ages for years, but never made one for myself.  I follow several people who do this kind of thing as their hobby, so that is another inspiration.  So... I'm creating a reproduction Regency period ensemble, from the underwear to the hat.  

I did present my plan to my students, partly to show that I am doing this along with them, and partly to model what I expect their presentations to the rest of the class look like.

Today is our first 20 Time work day, so I am setting up this Blog so that I can share my progress with my students (and anyone else who wants to check it out).  

Outside of class, I have received the two main patterns I will be using to create much of my ensemble, and using the fabric requirements on the patterns, I've ordered the materials to make the chemise, corset/stays, slip, muslin (the "first draft" of the outfit to test for fit and and any adjustments to be made for the final garment), dress, spencer (short jacket), and possibly the pocket.  

I also ordered reed boning, a busk, lacing, and binding for the corset.  Details to come later!  :)  

So I'm waiting for fabric to arrive (ordered online...local shops don't carry the kind of thing I need).  Over Winter Break, I hope to get started!  I've asked Santa for a dress form, so that I can have a body double to use for fitting and adjustments.  We'll see if I have to buy it for myself....

Here are the patterns I will be using for the main parts of the ensemble.  They are created by Laughing Moon Mercantile, who have many patterns for the historic costume enthusiast.  If you are interested, you can check out their website:  http://www.lafnmoon.com/  I am still deciding which spencer I want to make, but I know which dress, a combination of the red one and floral one.  It kind of depends on how the front part fits.  

Pattern # 115 Pattern #129
Pattern #126

No comments:

Post a Comment