Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Gathering materials


Ahh... the joys of anticipation have begun!  Last week, I ordered fabric for my ensemble, and now I'm waiting for it to arrive.  I think I got all I need for the outfit, spencer, underthings, and dress.  I got the boning in the mail today.

Boning?  Yep... to make a corset, you have to have boning.  It's what gives the corset shape and support.  There are many kids, including plastic stuff you can get at JoAnn's, but I know that is not authentic material for the early 1800s.  So, I did some research.  I could have got spring-steel circular boning (see picture), but you also have to buy a $45 tool to cut it, plus the little metal tips to prevent the steel from shredding the fabric and your skin.  So I opted for reed.  Reed is a natural material that is stripped into a specific shape, then coiled and boiled in that shape, and then allowed to dry.  It was $25 for the coil of reed, but you can't buy it in any other quantity than a coil.  It is also used to make hoop skirt supports... maybe another project somewhere down the road?

The cane is larger and more rigid than I expected.  I think it will be perfect for my corset/stays.

Reed Boning--easy to cut and shape, with sanded edges.
Spring Steel boning...I don't want those pointy bits poking me!!  These are the end caps for cut steel.  Bleah.


I have also been thinking about things I can work on in class.  I can do hand sewing, which I will do for some of the outfit (I will machine sew the parts that won't really show--skirt seams, etc.).  I am going to make a reticule to go with the outfit.  I haven't decided on the material for the outside of the bag... something soft but sturdy.  Not leather, although soft leathers do exist.  Not satin--I don't want something too fancy.  I was thinking I could dye leftover sateen from my corset material... I did order extra!  :)

The historic example of a reticule is fairly simple.  I can imitate the muted paillettes (sequins, which were metal in the 1800s) with some matte silver sequins I have in my sequins box.  Yes, I have a box of sequins!  Harville is an omnicrafter, and I use sequins in all kinds of stuff.

I've found a pattern that is very similar to this one, which I will alter a little so that it has the longer point on it than the pattern I've found.  It will be lined, of course, and TASSELS!!!

I am also going to make myself a replica bracelet.  I found a picture of this bracelet online, and it is part of the Jane Austen collection, which includes an amber cross and a turquoise ring.  I can't make things like that, but I can work with seed beads!  Looking at the details of this bracelet, I can totally make it.  I had to order a nice box clasp for it, though.  I bought vintage Venetian glass beads at Shipwreck, and have milky white glass beads, as well as gold beads.  It is simple--Right angle weave and netting.  No problem!!  Just a bit tedious, as the beads are small, and that takes time.  But I can also work on that in class on Fridays.

Here is the bracelet:



Well, it's bedtime, so... see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment