Thursday, February 7, 2019

The End!

I have pictures to share... when I was on campus, several people took pictures for me, so that I have the total effect ready.  I will post pictures of individual parts of the project later.  We are expecting more snow, so... who knows what fun we'll have?  I definitely want to show you details of the hat and the reticule, and construction details for the dress and such.

For now, here are pictures of me--these were taken by Mrs. Mulcahy, who had me do an "Oh, Mr. Darcy!" pose...

 

I did get the necklace made, and made some earrings to go with it.  Coral beads in 4 and 6mm graduated size, hand-knotted on dark rust silk cord.  The earrings have a silver filigree pendant with one coral bead as a drop at the end. 

This was actually fairly comfortable to wear.  My only problem was the stays.  If I am going to re-wear this outfit again, I need to make a new corset.  Mine was simply too big around, and I think too long in the back.  The boning in the back was definitely rubbing my lower back uncomfortably, and my arms had limited movement, due to the breadth of the front of the stays.  In future, I'll need to make a smaller size, and perhaps a shorter version--the long stays were too long for my short torso. 

It was also fairly easy to put on, if a little time-consuming.  The only part I had trouble with was the last part--threading my back ties through the thread loops (like belt loops, but to keep the sash in the correct position).  Fortunately, a colleague came in to the bathroom as I was struggling with the ties, and she helped me out. 

Otherwise, this was fun!  A lot of work, but that's not a bad thing.  Sometimes a lot of work is the most rewarding in the end. 

So... what did I learn through all of this? 

1.  My husband is destined for sainthood.  He was patient through the lack of housework, helped me make my dress form, bought me the dress form, was supportive through the whole process, and made dinner all weekend so that I could work. 

2.  I always bite off more than I can chew.  I was ambitious, and thought that because I'm a skilled and experienced seamstress, this would be easier than I thought.  But the patterns are different from modern dressmaking, and the instructions were not as clear as I would have liked.  There was much ripping out of stitches, swearing, and re-sewing.  I also didn't consider the sheer amount of fabric, and how that would take far longer than my usual sewing projects.  So this was definitely a challenge for me!  I understand patterns and construction better as a result of doing this project.

3.  I'm much smaller than I think I am.  My stays were at least four inches too large around my body.  This may mean that my dress form is too big/inaccurate.  I know I've lost a whole dress size in the last month and a half, but that doesn't account for the error.  Either I misread the instructions, or I made some calculation errors.  There's a lot more math and geometry in sewing than you'd think!  On the one hand, it caused a lot of problems, but on the other hand... I'm having a hard time finding a downside to finding out you aren't entirely as fat as you thought you were....  :)

4.  I don't need to do this again.  At least, not with a deadline--I did get stressed about it, and that's not good for my health.  I've got enough stress in my life as it is!  I'm relieved that the project is over, in that respect.  I still would like to sew more period costumes, but at my own pace, and in a bigger space.  My sewing area is very small, so I was constantly moving things around to accommodate the storage of materials and construction of this outfit.  I have multiple craft interests, and generally move from project to project according to my mood or inspiration.  I might spend a month on making cards, for example, and then spend two months on making jewelry, and during family time, work on a knitting, crocheting, or embroidery project.  So this felt confining and limiting to me. 

I hope you've enjoyed the journey with me!  I think I'm going to work on keeping this blog going, but writing about other things--perhaps other projects.  I can't be the only crafter out there!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment