Friday, June 7, 2019

The Final Countdown

Cue Europe's only hit song...Now! 

Image result for the final countdown

We're in the final stretch for the school year... Seniors are done in a week, and the rest are done in two, with a field day for the last day of school on the 24th.  Whew!

I have also finished my work on this quarter's 20 Time project.  Although... I don't think I'm all that finished, actually.  More on that later.


I spread out all of my hats on my desk this morning for a final photo.  You are looking at 78 hats for preemies in various shapes, sizes, and patterns.  I'm in love with the little aviator hats, and the newsboy caps, as well.  Last night, after Ella went to bed, I sewed on decorations--buttons, flowers, pom-poms.  I had to make the pom-poms first, of course.  I have some very small pom-pom makers I bought many years ago, and struggled with making them work.  But I figured it out this time, and LOVE those tiny little balls of yarn!  So I put them on a bunch of hats. 

I had originally set myself a goal of 50 hats, and the last time I had counted them, I was pretty close.  But then I found some new patterns that I just HAD to try... and I started cranking out hats lickety-split, completing 12 or so a weekend.  I had memorized the patterns, and went to town, so to speak.  I learned to do colorwork--little striped hats--without having to weave in a gazillion tails.  And I experimented with sizes.  I found a pattern for a little newsboy cap, but I felt it was missing something--that little band that goes across the front.  So I did some trial and error on making the band, and came up with a reasonable and easy solution. 

I'm pleased with my results, and have enjoyed making these little gems.  They are a form of instant gratification for me.  In the past, I've always been able to make things for my mother, who loved being the recipient of my skills.  But since she passed, I've lost that... my daughter isn't as interested in things I can make her, and it's hard to find things to make for my husband.  So this filled a void in my life, and made me happy. 

I am not really going to stop making hats (well, I will temporarily).  I have plans for holiday hats for fall and winter, and I know that hospitals can use them.  I've pinned all kinds of cute hats on Pinterest for me to make.  Oh, the possibilities!  I want to do other preemie items, as well.  So, I can see this as an ongoing project for me. 

Here are the close-ups: 


I will deliver these to Tacoma General tomorrow.  I hope they like them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment